25 October 2005

I'm a Believer

This week we deviated from our tradition of writing original musical material and did a much-altered cover of I'm a Believer (by Neil Diamond/the Monkees). Rather than go for a traditional sound, we made it as different as possible: tenor sax, steel-string guitar, nordic fiddle, and no drums. I thought it was just a liberal fairy tale But now conservatives feel the same The Feds were out to get me Cos of the books I read I guess the Patriot Act isn't what is claims Then I saw that badge Now I'm a believer Not a chance I'll get a fair trial I've been detained now I'm a believer I couldn't leave here if I tried I thought the Bill of Rights would be my guarantee After all, I had nothing to hide It's un-American to fight it Something must be done About the terrorists--and baby, I'm not one Then I saw that badge Now I'm a believer Not a chance I'll get a fair trial I've been detained now I'm a believer I couldn't leave here if I tried What's the point of justice? All you get is framed when I needed defense, I got is blame Then I saw that badge Now I'm a believer Not a chance I'll get a fair trial I've been detained now I'm a believer I couldn't leave here if I tried